Managing Shared Cost Rules

When you need to split the bill with marketing colleagues

Shared Cost Rules (SCR) are powerful and they can significantly affect your budget. We recommend you get in touch with your Plannuh contact for training before building and applying your own SCR. 

Plannuh's Shared Cost Rules (SCR) model is a powerful technique for supporting campaigns, expense buckets and individual expenses that are shared between budget segments. For example, imagine that you are running a campaign. The budget owner of Segment A has agreed to pay most of the costs (70%), and the manager of Segment B will pay the remainder (30%)

In spreadsheets, this is impossible fiddly and inaccurate. In Plannuh, it's simple: define a shared cost rule and apply it to the campaign. Once you've done that, every expense created inside the campaign will inherit the shared cost rules. 

Now let's imagine that at the event, the manager of Segment A is having a customer dinner that really only benefits her. The manager of Segment B says they don't want to pay for 30% of that. No problem - the cost sharing rule can be removed from individual expenses, and from expense buckets, so that you can precisely manage which expenses are shared, and which aren't.

Other applications of cost sharing rules include policy (e.g. splitting all travel costs across segments algorithmically), marketing development funds (e.g. a partner contributes $50K to your budget, you have to match it and split all the relevant costs 50/50), events, and more.

 

 

Reminder: Shared Cost Rules are powerful and they can significantly affect your budget. We recommend you get in touch with your key Plannuh contact before building your own SCR's, for a training session.